Background

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Birthday Weekend

My birthday always sneaks up on me. It's exactly two weeks after Halloween and about two weeks before Thanksgiving. It's just kind of a crazy time of year.

Originally we were planning on leaving Norah with my parents and getting out of town for the weekend. As it turned out my mom had a concert in Telluride (she sings with the Durango Choral Society). Last weekend we left Norah with my parents for the day and went to Farmington to do a little shopping. My work is having a fancy Christmas party which was a good enough excuse for a new dress for me! I got a really nice dress (two actually) and had a great day out with my man last weekend. It was about as good a time as one could possibly have in the thriving metropolis that is Farmington, NM.

It's a good thing that we didn't plan for this weekend. Mark is super sick and just can't seem to shake whatever it is that he's come down with. My mom's concert ended up being cancelled because we got our first good snow of the season. For those of you who don't live around here, the only way to get to Telluride is over a mountain pass (two actually) that makes people nervous when it's dry. Driving up there in snow would have been a bad idea. So they came up to visit us for a few hours yesterday. Here are my mom and Norah modeling their coordinating puffy vests.


So we spent all weekend ensconced in our lovely mountain chalet. We watched the snow fall, which Norah enjoyed very much. Mark made a fantastic dinner of grown up mac and cheese just like my favorite dish at Yardhouse. It had chicken, applewood smoked bacon, several types of cheese, crimini mushrooms and a crispy bread crust. It was AWESOME! We watched the first half of The Wizard of Oz before I put Norah down. She really paid attention to it! It seemed like just as she was about to lose interest they started singing again.

Norah isn't really old enough to choose a present for me yet, but she gave me the best one I could think of. On Friday evening I snapped this photo of the two of us. It was one of those where you just hold the camera in front of you and hope it comes out right. I was so excited, it's actually a good one of both of us!

2 comments:

Jan said...

Happy Birthday! I'm pretty sure you're older than me now!

Jan said...

BTW, I had a dream about y'all last night. It's a little fuzzy but I do remember Mark had dyed his hair black and gone goth! LOL!