Background

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Mommy Recycling

You can't live in Durango for too long without noticing that the green movement is alive and thriving in this here small town. From the bicycle powered blender people selling smoothies at the farmer's market, to the almost daily letters in paper reminding us all how much better reusable bags are for the environment, we are regaled with all sorts of helpful ideas on how to "do our part" which, apparently very few people are doing or we wouldn't all feel so guilty about it.

Don't get me wrong, I think that we should all follow the lessons we learned in pre-school and clean up our own messes. It's important to be good stewards of our resources. And for the record, I love this planet! It's big, beautiful and diverse. There are tons of amazing places that I still haven't seen, and I want them to be around for my kids to see too. Plus, it's where I keep all of my chocolate. So we have to take care of it.

There are probably lots of little things that I do every day that, with a little tweaking, could make better use of my resources (and probably save some money too). So I'm keeping an eye out for opportunities to do just that. In a culture of disposability, maybe I can reuse and repourpose things a little bit more. Here's one teensey, tinesey (and slightly adorable) way that I'm trying to save our resources.


As I was putting away this dress I was a little sad to see it go. You know, because it's so cute and all. Kids grow so fast they just don't get all that much use out of some of their cutest stuff. Then it occurred to me, why not repurpose it?




So....




...last year's dress...




This year's shirt!!

As an added conservation bonus, the sweater she's wearing was mine. I'm pretty sure that it was a hand-me-down to me too. That means I qualify for a big ol' reusable bag that says, "I'm Green!" or something on it. Right?

No comments: