See? Pretty clever eh? Anyway, the show is really well done. It's beautifully designed (can't really say drawn since it's CG) and incredibly educational. My mom, the 30 year veteran teacher says it's great for pre-readers. Not only is Norah learning to spell simple words, she's picking up on lots of reading concepts already. Not bad for a half hour show!
I'm sure that many, many experts were consulted in the creation of this show. I suspect, however, that there was one type of expert left out of the development process. I have several friends who are Speech and Language Pathology (SLP) specialists. I think they'll all agree with me that none of them were consulted when the creators decided to name the program...
Word World
Now I'm no expert, but I do know that "W" "R" and "L" and three very difficult sounds for many young children to make. Imagine my expressive, little two-year-old getting slightly overexcited and exclaiming that she wants to watch Word World. She's been working really hard on enunciating lately, so she usually repeats different versions of the title four or five times trying to get it right.
Sure, I can understand her. I live with her. But I'm sure when she tells her Sunday School teacher about her new favorite show, her teacher might be a little confused as to why we let her watch the Home Improvement Channel (Wood Weld) or the Travel Channel (Road Wild).
In any case, yesterday she learned that if you want to make more of something, you add and "s" to the end. If only it were that easy to replicate pies in real life...
2 comments:
We LOVE World World! Lula Mae has been a huge fan of it for a while. I don't think I could parent without my pal PBS.
Have you considered getting the Your Baby Can Read dvds? I am a huge advocate! Norah would probably love them too. Both Lula Mae and Jayce are intrigued by them. Plus they are both reading :-) Lula Mae is at a first grade level now (at 2 yrs) and Jayce can read 3 words (at 9 months). You should check it out.... but look for it on ebay cause I got mine super cheap that way!
Word World! That comes on right before Sesame Street, so I have caught a few episodes. :)
Post a Comment